Feb 12, 2021 |LIFE | By Kara Thomas | Illustration by Bibi Powers
Whether you are single or taken, this Valentine’s Day looks a lot different than in years past. Although indoor dining is allowed in El Paso County, choosing to eat inside a restaurant still poses a high risk of contracting COVID-19. Therefore, opting to cook your Valentine’s Day dinner at home might be the safest course of action for the holiday this Sunday – and your significant other (or friends) are sure to appreciate a home-cooked meal!
Below is an easy and delicious recipe for Lemon Asparagus Chicken Pasta. The meal is budget-friendly, yet a few steps up from what you might normally cook for dinner. If you wish to opt out of the chicken in this recipe, you can substitute with tofu, shrimp, or another meat alternative. Additionally, if asparagus isn’t your preferred vegetable, opt instead for your favorite green veggie, such as spinach or broccoli.
Lemon Asparagus Chicken Pasta
Adapted from Delish
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. linguine or spaghetti
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp. butter (salted)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 lb. asparagus, stalks trimmed and cut into thirds
- 3/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 c. freshly grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1 lemon, sliced into half moons
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot, setting aside 1/4 cup of the pasta water for later.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add chicken and season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook until golden and no longer pink, eight minutes per side. Transfer to a plate to let rest, then thinly slice.
- To skillet, add and melt butter over medium heat. Add red onion and asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about five minutes, then add heavy cream, chicken broth, lemon juice, garlic, and the reserved pasta water and simmer five minutes.
- Stir in cheeses and let cook until melted, then add lemon slices and cooked linguine.
- Top with sliced chicken and garnish with more parmesan and parsley.
As always, feel free to email me with any food related questions or comments.