On Nov. 21, Colorado College hockey broke their seven-game losing streak with a victory against former Western Collegiate Hockey Association rival University of Wisconsin. The game was also the first career win for freshman goalie Chase Perry who made 24 saves.

The Tigers started off strong with a power play goal by senior defenseman Aaron Harstad at the 11:47 mark of the first period. The goal was Harstad’s career-high third tally of the season as well as the first lead the Tigers have held since their winning game against Alabama-Huntsville on Oct. 11.

The next goal of the game came less than one minute into the second period. Sophomore forward Luc Gerdes redirected a shot by junior forward Hunter Fejes to increase CC’s lead to 2-0. A few minutes later, at the 3:57 mark, Wisconsin cut the lead in half.

At the 12:01 mark, senior forward Scott Wamsganz made a goal after regaining the puck after a failed initial shot. The Tigers kept dominating the second period with another goal at the 15:42 mark by junior forward Jared Hanson. It was Hanson’s first goal of the season after missing six games due to an injury.

The Tigers started the third period with a 4-1 lead. Junior forward Cody Bradley scored at the 9:35 mark, giving CC its biggest lead of the entire season. Wisconsin fought back to score their second goal of the game at the 17:28 mark but they were unable to recover from the large deficit. The game ended with CC winning 5-2.

hockey 3

The next day, the Tigers made the short trip to the Air Force Academy. The teams were meeting to battle for the Pikes Peak Trophy. The trophy was established last year in memory of John Matchefs, who served as a hockey head coach for both the CC Tigers (1966-71) and the Air Force Falcons (1974-85). Last year, the Air Force claimed the trophy with a 3-1 win and this year, hockey history repeated itself.

CC went into the game with a disadvantage. Senior defensemen captain Peter Stoykewych and assistant captain Harstad suffered injuries during the Wisconsin game and were unable to play. Another defenseman, freshman Duggie Lagrone, has been out of rotation since an injury on Oct. 25. This left CC with only five available defensemen during the Air Force game.

Despite the injuries, the game started out well for the Tigers. At the 1:39 mark, senior wing Charlie Taft scored the first goal of the game which was also his first goal of the season. Sophomore forward Sam Rothstein passed the puck to Taft who tapped the shot off the Air Force’s goalie’s leg.

hockey 2Air Force tied the score at the 14:52 with a rebound shot. Only 33 seconds later, the Falcons took the lead with a shot that hit off the back of Perry’s leg and slid in.

In the second period, the Tigers had an opportunity to make a comeback during a five minute boarding penalty after freshman defenseman Garrett Cecere was hit. The Tigers got off four shots but the Air Force goalie saved them all. The Falcons extended their lead to 3-1 at the 9:35 mark. Both teams were unable to score in the third period.

Despite the loss, CC did have a 36-25 advantage in shots. Sophomore defenseman Jaccob Slavin had a career high six shots. The Tiger’s record is now 3-8 overall. They are idle until Friday, Dec. 5 when they travel to play against University of Minnesota Duluth.hockey 1

Leave a Reply